Thursday, January 3, 2013

Week Thirty-Five: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - "Dreaming" - The Best of OMD

I bet most of you automatically assumed that I was going to end this week with OMD's hit, "If You Leave" - (I'll include a movie montage video for it under the lyrics for good measure) - but what else is there to say about that song that hasn't already been said? I'll agree that it helped to make the epic ending to the phenomenal film, Pretty in Pink, but I always secretly wanted Andie to end up with Duckie, not with Blaine!!!

**UPDATE** 2/9/2013 --- Look what I found when I was supposed to be researching case law on the theory of escheating property back to the State:

Blaine did get the girl in the end, but that's not what filmmakers initially planned. Andie's best buddy Duckie, played by Jon Cryer, won her heart in the first version of "Pink," but that ending failed to impress test audiences. "I was disappointed,” Cryer told Entertainment Weekly back in 2006. ”You sorta go, ‘Oh, guess I’m not the leading man." As for McCarthy, he had to put on a "bad wig" to re-shoot the ending with Ringwald because he had shaved his head for a New York play. "If they knew we'd still be talking about it 25 years later, they would have paid for a better wig," he told Access Hollywood in October.

Even though it didn't end that way, it still makes me feel better to know that this ending was once in existence!!!

I was not aware of this, but I read on wikipedia that "Dreaming" was the last single that the band released before they split up; however, one of the members did continue on using the OMD name for later releases. I can't remember if it was at Retrocadia or at Red Square Retro, probably the latter, but one of the dj's had an amazing mash-up of OMD tunes with both "Dreaming" & "If You Leave" included... I looked for something similar to it on youtube, but I sadly could not find anything.

Well, that's it for this week. Don't forget that I won't be posting again until Monday, January 7th! And may all of your "Dreaming" come true in 2013!!!  ;-D

But before I go, I have another picture to share with you... I had an opportunity to make it out to the Chinese Lantern Festival at Fair Park last night, and the whole setting was very dream-like. Here's a picture of my favorite scene from the festival... it just reminded me of the vivid dreams I used to have as a little girl before my brain became cluttered with so many adult issues and quandaries...








If you were born in heaven girl
I'd understand so well
But ever since I met you child
You've made my life such hell
With every day that passes
I fall nearer to the ground
It seems that I've been looking for 
Something that won't be found


I was only dreaming
I was only trying to catch your eye
I was only wishing you would notice me
Instead you said goodbye


Could this be the new answer then
To all the dreams we've made
Could there be some solution please
To rid me of this craze
But every single second that you
Held me in your arms
You build me up you raise me up
You kill me with your charms


I was only dreaming
I was only trying to catch your eye
I was only wishing you would notice me
Instead you said goodbye


Won't you stay here tonight?
Won't you make these feelings last?
Can't we start this all again?
Would that be just too much to ask?


I was only dreaming
I was only trying to catch your eye
I was only wishing you would notice me
Instead you said goodbye


I was only dreaming
I was only trying to catch your eye
I was only wishing you would notice me
Instead you said goodbye



No comments:

Post a Comment