Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Week Forty-Six: Doo-Wop - Chris Montez - "Let's Dance" - The Monogram Sides

It's practically impossible to listen to this song and to watch the YouTube video that I selected and to not be compelled to want to "do the twist, the stomp, the mashed potato too, Any old dance that you wanna do..."

I just don't see how anyone can call all that nonsensical "bumping and grinding" that the kids do these days "dancing" when people have full access to clips like this in order to see what "dancing" really was at one time.

I told my dad that if I ever got married, instead of walking me down the aisle, we would do that dance called "the washrag" down the aisle until we were so dizzy that we couldn't see straight.

His response was: "Sounds good, kiddo!" Either he is really stoked about making such a grand entrance, or he is convinced that I'm never getting married, which would let him off the hook for this one. I haven't been able to figure it out yet!

The Ramones covered this tune; so I am including a YouTube clip under the lyrics...


(One, two)
(One, two, three, four)


Hey baby won't you take a chance?

Say that you'll let me have this dance


Well let's dance, well let's dance

We'll do the twist, the stomp, the mashed potato too,
Any old dance that you wanna do
But let's dance, well let's dance


Hey baby, yeah, you thrill me so

Hold me tight, don't you let me go


But let's dance, well let's dance

We'll do the twist, the stomp, the mashed potato too
Any old dance that you wanna do
But let's dance, well let's dance


SPOKEN: OK, wail now.



Oh, yeah



Hey, baby, if you're all alone

Maybe you'll let me walk you home


But let's dance, well let's dance

We'll do the twist, the stomp, the mashed potato too,
Any old dance that you wanna do
But let's dance, well let's dance


Hey, baby, things are swingin' right

Yes, I know that this is the night


Well let's dance, well let's dance

We'll do the twist, the stomp, the mashed potato too
Any old dance that you wanna do
But let's dance, well let's dance


FADE

But let's dance
But let's dance
But let's dance 




No comments:

Post a Comment