Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Week Forty-Four: The Sun, The Moon, & The Stars - Muse - "Starlight" - Black Holes and Revelations


This week, I am going to cover songs that talk about the sun, the moon, and the stars... in that very order
@ ( * @ ( * @ ( * @ ( * @ ( * @ ( * @ ( *


I somehow missed out on Muse when they debuted this hit in the States at some point in 2006. I attribute it to the fact that I was vehemently anti-radio, at that juncture, and I had very minimal time to watch TV, not that MTV or VH-1 even really played much music, due to the plague of reality TV popularity.

I did finally catch wind of this band in late 2007 when I was forced to listen to the radio while borrowing my mother's vehicle since mine was being repaired. Upon hearing “Starlight” for the first time, it was stuck in my head, and I hummed it incessantly, until I could finally purchase the album in its entirety.

Sadly, once Stephanie Meyer declared Muse to be one of her favorite bands, as well as a huge influence on her writing, many of my students, who are/were Twi-hard Twits, declared Muse to be their new favorite band, even though “Supermassive Black Hole” was the only Muse song they had even heard. It's so hard to like or respect anything associated with glittering vampires, but it's also really difficult not to like this song.

When my most recent ex-boyfriend and I first met in 2009, we realized that we shared a mutual appreciation for this band because we both had this very song set as our ring tone. He was actually from England, and he knew about Muse long before I ever did; he had even snagged some very rare recordings of theirs before he headed over to the States.  

He and I also shared a mutual disgust for Stephanie Meyer's simple and repetitious writing style. Somebody had donated a copy of the book to my classroom library. I brought it home one day, and we attempted to read it. I think we made it through a few chapters at most; it was just unbearable!!! I was able to at least credit her with making some of my students more open-minded to other people's differences, even if she had to resort to the bedazzled living dead.

I'm also including another favorite by Muse called "Time is Running Out"...




Far away
This ship has taken me far away
Far away from the memories
Of the people who care if I live or die


Starlight
I will be chasing a starlight
Until the end of my life
I don't know if it's worth it anymore


Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold you in my arms


My life
You electrify my life
Let's conspire to ignite
All the souls that would die just to feel alive


I'll never let you go
If you promise not to fade away
Never fade away


Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations
Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations


Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold you in my arms


Far away
This ship has taken me far away
Far away from the memories
Of the people who care if I live or die


I'll never let you go
If you promise not to fade away
Never fade away


Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations
Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations


Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold


No comments:

Post a Comment