Monday, March 25, 2013

Week Forty-Seven: Side Projects - Monaco - "What Do You Want From Me?" - Music For Pleasure

Although I was always fully aware that Monaco was a side project of Joy Division/New Order bassist, Peter Hook, I wasn't aware that it arose from the ashes of another band called Revenge, a band that has an interesting start-up tale.

So apparently, Peter Hook was not pleased with Bernard Sumner (also of Joy Division/New Order) starting up a side project with Johnny Marr (of The Smiths) --- remember that fabulous band, Electronic? (Oh, and there will be an Electronic week eventually). 

So anyways, Peter Hook started up a band, Revenge, with David Potts (the other member of Monaco) joining them to play live. The name, Revenge, was directed towards Bernard Sumner, and according to Wikipedia: the name came from the word Revenge emblazoned on a leather jacket worn by George Michael in the video for his hit song, "Faith".

Eventually, Revenge broke up, and the remaining two members, Hook and Potts, formed Monaco. I am including another one of my favorites by them below the lyrics called "Shine (Someone Who Needs Me)".



There is one thing. That I would die for.
It's when you say. My life is in your hands.
'Cause when you're near me. Your love is all I need.
Now I can't imagine.


What do you want from me?
It's not how it used to be. 
You've taken my life away
Ruining everything.


Sha la la la la la la x4



What do you want from me?
It's not how it used to be.
You've taken my life away
Ruining everything.


Give me something. I can rely on.
Far away from. The life that I once knew.
But what does it matter. That's all I have to say.
And I can't imagine.


What do you want from me?
It's not how it used to be.
You've taken my life away
Ruining everything.


Sha la la la la la la x4


No comments:

Post a Comment