Sunday, April 26, 2015

Week One Hundred and Fifty-Six: The Refreshments - "Banditos" - Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy

So apparently, I am waxing nostalgic for 1996, or something of the sort, because this week's post centers around '96, as well... 

One of my former co-workers and I have decided that we are going to make an honest attempt at trying a new restaurant or a new food type every month. Since she selected the afternoon tea ceremony at Chocolate Angel last month, it was my turn to make the selection this month.

I have only tried Ethiopian food once before in my life, and it just so happened to be back in '96 during my senior year of high school. I was Vice-President of the French Club, and my teacher was educating the French Club members on France's influence on Ethiopia's development.

She had been to Queen of Sheba restaurant, which was located at Lemmon & McKinney, a few times already and was friendly with the owners; therefore, she decided it would be a perfect outing for the French Club to learn first-hand from people who had experienced the French influence.

We made our way down to Queen of Sheba one evening and were taken into a room where we sat cross legged around large circular slabs. When the food came out, our natural inclination was to look for the silverware, but au contraire... there was no silverware. Ethiopian food is eaten with injera bread, which is a spongy sourdough-flavored roll, pictured below:



Back in 1996, I was still practicing a strict vegetarian diet, but I remember the vegetable dishes being delicious! The food is brought out in small piles on a large platter, and you break off pieces of injera bread in order to partake in the meal. 

The original Queen of Sheba closed its doors, but the owners have opened a spin-off, called Sheba's Ethiopian Kitchen. That's where I dined yesterday. I was not particularly taken with any of the meat selections, so I went with the vegetarian platter yet again, which looked very similar to this picture that I found online:



I personally felt that the food was just as delicious as I remembered it from almost 20 years, but my co-worker was not as impressed. To make up for it, I treated her to an ice cream sundae at Braum's right around the corner after dinner.

So where does today's song fit into today's post??? I'll tell you where!!! First of all, it was released in '96, which was the same year that I first tried Ethiopian cuisine, and secondly, I have always loved the line: "Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people..." I just couldn't believe the behaviors of the people in Sheba's Ethiopian Kitchen vs. Braum's. The children at the Ethiopian restaurant were very well-behaved; everyone was using their "indoor" voices, and the overall environment was pleasant and peaceful. At Braum's, kids were screaming; two workers were fixing one another's hair in the middle of the restaurant, and the environment was a bit much, to say the least! I fully understand that Braum's is not the same type of eating establishment as Sheba's, but people should still know how to conduct themselves in public!!!

I'm sure that it's no surprise to any of you, who have been reading this blog for some time now, that I am not a huge fan of people, but I also despise the superior attitude that most Americans attempt to assume over other cultures and races. The shift from the Ethiopian restaurant to Braum's was just a reminder of such behavior and how completely erroneous the beliefs are at times.

With that said, I will step down from my soap box and let you enjoy "Banditos" and another tune called "Down Together"...


So, just how far down do you want to go?
Or we could talk it out over a cup of joe
And you could look deep into my eyes
Like I was a super-model
Uh-huh

Well, it's you and me baby, no one else we can trust
We'll say nothin' to no one, no how or we bust
And never crack a smile
Or flinch or cry for nobody
Uh-uh

Well, give your ID card to the border guard
Yeah, your alias says you're Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Of the United Federation Of Planets
'Cause he won't speak English anyway

And everybody knows
That the world is full of stupid people
So meet me at the mission at midnight
We'll divvy up there

And everybody knows
That the world is full of stupid people
Well, I got the pistols, so I'll keep the Pesos
Yeah, and that seems fair

So, put the sugar in the tank of the sheriff's car
And slash the deputy's tires and they won't get very far
When they finally get the word
That there's been a hold-up
Uh-huh

Well, give your ID card to the border guard
Now your alias says you're Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Of the United Federation Of Planets
'Cause he won't speak English anyway

And everybody knows
That the world is full of stupid people
So meet me at the mission at midnight
We'll divvy up there

And everybody knows
That the world is full of stupid people
Well, I got the pistols, so I'll keep the Pesos
Yeah, and that seems fair
Well, that seems fair
And that seems fair
Well, that seems fair

Well, give your ID card to the border guard
Now your alias says you're Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Of the United Federation Of Planets
'Cause he won't speak English anyway

And everybody knows
That the world is full of stupid people
So meet me at the mission at midnight
We'll divvy up there

Well, everybody knows
That the world is full of stupid people
Well, I got the pistols, so I'll keep the Pesos
Yeah, and that seems fair
And that seems fair
And that seems fair
Well, that seems fair



No comments:

Post a Comment