Sunday, April 19, 2015

Week One Hundred and Fifty-Five: Spacehog - "In the Meantime" - Resident Alien

So, as I was flipping through my Sirius XM stations yesterday, I came across this song by Spacehog. When it was released back in 1996, I recall thinking that it was one of the most awesome songs that I had heard in awhile. I also recall that I could not wait to get my hot little hands on a copy of the cassette. You, on the other hand, might recall, from some of my other posts, that I was still traveling around town in my 1987 Hyundai Excel back in 1996, and all I had at my disposal was a cassette player.

I finally got my hot little hands on a copy of the album, Resident Alien, but I was utterly disappointed by the other track selections. I thought surely that there would be at least one other tune on that album that would equal, or at least come close to, the caliber of "In the Meantime". Sadly, I could not find one.

The only saving grace was that this song was the first track on Side One, so I could just keep hitting rewind and listening to it over and over and over again. In fact, I listened to it so much that I actually drove myself to hating it after quite some time. However, every time I happen upon it now, I blast it as loud as I can stand it!

A fun fact about this band is that the lead singer, Royston Langdon, was married to Liv Tyler. You might remember me talking about her not too long ago when I posted about the film, Stealing Beauty, with regard to the weeks that I covered Hole and Portishead.



Ooh hoo
Ooh hoo
Ooh hoo
Ooh

And in the end, we shall achieve in time

The thing they call divine
And all the stars will smile for me
When all is well and well is all for all
And forever after
Maybe in the meantime, wait and see, yeah

We love the all the all of you

Where lands are green and skies are blue
When all in all, we're just like you
We love the all of you

And when I cry for me, I cry for you

With tears of holy joy
For all the days of still to come
And did I ever say I'd never play
Or fly toward the sun?
Maybe in the meantime, something's sung

We love the all the all of you

Where lands are green and skies are blue
When all in all, we're just like you
We love the all of you

That sounds fine, so I'll see you sometime, give my love to the future of a-humankind

Okay, okay, it's not okay
Ooh, while it's on my mind, there's a girl that fits the crime for a future love dream, that I'm still to find
But in the meantime

We love the all the all of you

Where lands are green and skies are blue
When all in all, we're just like you
We love the all of you

We love the all the all of you

Where lands are green and skies are blue
When all in all, we're just like you
We love the all of you, yeah

Love the all the all of you

Lands are green and skies are blue

Just like you

We're just like you
We're just like, we're just like 
Just like you
Just like you
We're just like you
We're just like, just like 
Just like you



No comments:

Post a Comment