Sunday, April 12, 2015

Week One Hundred and Fifty-Four: Suzanne Vega - "99.9F°" - 99.9F°

There has been a huge influx of '80s/'90s bands making their way through DFW as of late, and it's brought a great deal of excitement to my often humdrum existence! In fact, I had the extreme pleasure of catching one of these beloved bands, Information Society, at The Granada last night. However, since I already covered InSoc in Week One Hundred and Twenty-Three, I will not cover them again today. Also in town for the evening at The Winspear was Aimee Mann (from 'Til Tuesday) whom I covered in Week One Hundred and Thirteen. Alas, for me, my love of synthesizers won out over my love for Aimee Mann. 

But to get back on today's focus... I decided to finally post about Suzanne Vega because she keeps appearing as a suggested artist on YouTube. I was first introduced to her through her catchy little tune, "Left of Center", which appeared on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack.

Not long after, she released "Luka", which became a major radio hit. Off the same album was "Tom's Diner". You may recall, however, that it did not become a major hit until a dance beat was added, and it was re-released in the '90s.

One of my favorites from Suzanne Vega, though, is called "99.9F°". It's slightly sinister sounding, and it gets stuck in my head for days. Another favorite off that same album is "Blood Makes Noise". I'll include videos for all the songs I mentioned today.

So, Suzanne Vega, I saw on Pollstar.com a whole slew of East Coast and European dates...any chance you'll appease your centrally located fans and make your way through Dallas anytime soon???




99.9 Fahrenheit degrees
Stable now, with rising possibilities
It could be normal but it isn't quite
Could make you want to stay awake at night

You seem to me
Like a man
0n the verge of burning
99.9 Fahrenheit degrees

Pale as a candle
And your face is hot
And if I touch you
I might get what you've got

You seem to me
Like a man
On the verge of running
99.9 Fahrenheit degrees

Something cool
Against the skin
Is what you could be
Something cool
Against the skin
Is what you
Could be needing

99.9 Fahrenheit degrees

You seem to me
Like a man
On the verge of burning
99.9 Fahrenheit degrees

Something cool
Against the skin
Is what you could be
Something cool
Against your skin
Is what you
Could be needing

99.9 Fahrenheit degrees [X2]










No comments:

Post a Comment