Sunday, April 5, 2015

Week One Hundred and Fifty-Three: Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - "Circle" - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians are definitely homegrown talent, as the members got their starts at various locales around the Dallas metroplex. I was introduced to Edie Brickell & New Bohemians on my 11th birthday, when my best friend at the time, Leslie, gave me the cassette, Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars. Leslie loved their hit, "What I Am", and thought that everyone should love it as much as she did! I was much more moved by today's song, "Circle".

Believe it or not, I had not give much thought to Edie Brickell & New Bohemians until they appeared recently on my Pandora station for The Sundays. As I heard Edie begin to sing "Circle", I was moved yet again in the very same way as the first time I heard it. I was also reminded that "being alone is the best way to be..."

I know that most people don't agree with me, and that's perfectly okay. We can just agree to disagree! However, I did have to smile to myself last night when I thought about how lovely it was that I did not have to explain to anyone why I was craving dressing (as in turkey & dressing) and made it as a side dish to my shrimp scampi and parmesan noodles. It's also nice to know that the three (3) Easter petit fours that I acquired from Casa Linda Bakery (pictured below) will remain resting in their pastry box until I decide to consume them. I assure you that there are many more perks that come along with single life that are not food-related, but only those who choose the single life and who are truly single at heart would understand and/or believe me. Besides, it's not my job to convert, only to enjoy my chosen lifestyle!




Me, I'm a part of your circle of friends
And we notice you don't come around
Me, I think it all depends on you
Touching ground with us but

I quit, I give up, nothing's good enough for anybody else
It seems
And I quit, I give up, nothing's good enough for anybody else
It seems
And being alone is the best way to be
When I'm by myself it's the best way to be
When I'm all alone it's the best way to be
When I'm by myself, nobody else can say goodbye

Everything is temporary anyway
When the streets are wet, the colors slip into the sky
But I don't why that means you and I are, that means you and I

I quit, I give up, nothing's good enough for anybody else
It seems
And I quit I give up, nothing's good enough for anybody else
It seems
And being alone is the best way to be
When I'm by myself, it's the best way to be
When I'm all alone, it's the best way to be
When I'm by myself, nobody can say

Me, I'm a part of your circle of friends
And we notice you don't come around





2 comments:

  1. I also found this to be my favorite song on this album. I never quite interpreted it the same as you, but that's the great thing about music. We are all touched by it in the way we need to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I would love to consider myself an island in need of no one, those closest to me know that is so far removed from the truth.

      Delete