Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Week Forty-Eight: Oh So Sweet! - Ingrid Michaelson - "The Way I Am" - Girls and Boys


This week's songs are of the nature that any time I hear one of them, I can't help but think to myself: "What a really sweet song!!!"
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3


The first time I ever heard this song was in an Old Navy sweater commercial. It was perfect for those lines: "If you are chilly, here take my sweater..."

Additionally, my boyfriend at the time was greatly concerned that he was beginning to experience the effects of a receding hairline --- it really wasn't that bad, but men can be very sensitive about that kind of stuff --- so we would giggle at the lines: "I'd buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair..."

I'm also including a YouTube clip for another one of my favorites called "Breakable". I know it is really starting to hit me that I am about to put an era of my life behind me as I transition careers. The reason I say that is because as I was listening to "Breakable", I remembered a student who would write song lyrics on the back of her history quizzes. I give them 7 minutes to take their quizzes. Then they turn them facing down on their desks and wait until the 7 minutes is up so that we can check them in class. I let them doodle on the back of the quizzes while they are waiting. So this one student would write out song lyrics and then ask me to guess what song they were from. I would write the answer down to her inquiry as I was recording the grade in my grade book. Most of the time, I had to look them up because they were from more modern radio songs with which I was not familiar. On occasion, though, she would write out lyrics that I was familiar with that she heard from movies and TV shows. I think she said that this song, "Breakable", was on Grey's Anatomy. I never watched it, but I'm pretty sure that is where she said she heard it.


If you were falling, then I would catch you.
You need a light, I'd find a match.

Cause I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.

If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.

Cause I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am.

I'd buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair.
Sew on patches to all you tear.

Cause I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.






No comments:

Post a Comment