Sunday, March 1, 2015

Week One Hundred and Forty-Eight: Hole - "Rock Star (Olympia)" - Live Through This

So Dallas, Texas, has been plagued with Winter weather, and I have been cooped up indoors for quite some time now. Nothing makes me feel like an angst-ridden teenage girl more than cooping me up inside!!!

Although Hole was not my "go-to" band during my angst-ridden teenage girl days (that would have been Siouxsie & the Banshees, whom I have covered extensively on this blog), Courtney Love does cite Siouxsie as an early influence. In fact, many years ago, I picked up a Courtney Love biography written by Poppy Z. Brite. Siouxsie is mentioned almost immediately in the foreword. Notice that Michael Stipe (from last week's band, R.E.M.) is also mentioned:





At least I have my music to help me through these suffocating feelings of being trapped indoors, but since I knew that I could not possibly bombard you with anymore Siouxsie for at least another few months (especially since I just slipped in some Creatures a few weeks back), I figured that I would cover some Hole for you today.

**Be forewarned, however, that today's selection drops the F*bomb quite a few times, but it is definitely one that I would blast out of my car stereo when I needed to let out some aggression back in '94.**

In addition to "Rock Star (Olympia)", I am including another from the Live Through This album called "Violet" which would get me equally riled up back in my younger years. Furthermore, I also have to include a few faves from their later album because I personally prefer listening to songs from their '98 release, Celebrity Skin, these days. Therefore, I will also include "Heaven Tonight" and "Boys On The Radio", and I also have to include the video for "Celebrity Skin" because the color scheme for the video is so lovely! Enjoy!!

 
When I went to school...oh
Well, I went to school...haha!
Well, I went to school, in Olympia
And everyone's the same.
What do you do with a revolution?

Well I went to school, in Olympia-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya
And everyone's the same
We look the same,
We talk the same, yeah
Don't you, please, make me real, fuck you!
Make me sick, fuck you!
Make me real, fuck you!

Well, I went to school in Olympia
And everyone's the same
And so are you, in Olympia-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya
And everyone's the same
We look the same
We talk the same, yeah, yeah
We even fuck the same
Well, I went to school, in Olympia-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya
Don't you please, make me real, come on!
Make me sick, come on,
Make me real, yeah, yeah, yeah

(Do it for the kids)
Do it for the kids
Do it for the kids, yeah
Do it for the kids, yeah
(Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it for the kids)
Do it for the kids, yeah
(Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it for the kids)
Do it for the kids, yeah
Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it for the kids.

No...we're not done...

Well, I went to school... in Olympia
(Facist bastard pigs are sweet, are we?)
Bye, bye
Good bye
Good bye
Bye, bye
Good bye.





No comments:

Post a Comment