Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week One Hundred and Thirty - The Sugarcubes - "Birthday" - Life's Too Good

So it's that time of year again... time for my birthday! It's tomorrow (October 27th) actually. I'll be 37-years-old.

I'm not exactly sure what I imagined my life to be like at 37 whenever I was a child. Honestly, I was always convinced that I was going to die young in some kind of tragic accident; so, I never really pondered what my middle life would entail.

However, I don't think I could have planned it any better for myself even if I had tried. Seriously, I have never felt so comfortable with myself and so pleased to be alive. 

Part of my contentment, I believe, is that I never fell victim to societal pressures to unite with another human being and procreate. In fact, I think wedding vows are completely laughable. 

C'mon now, you really think you can promise to love, honor, and cherish another human being forever, no matter what the circumstances?!?! I could definitely promise to love someone tomorrow, maybe even next week, possibly even next month or next year. However, I would never parade myself in front of God and everyone close to me (in a fluffy white dress, mind you) and make such a bold-faced lie and then even go so far as to invite the law into my relationship to dictate to me what's going to happen if things don't quite go as planned!! (What do you think a marriage license is folks??? It's very much your invitation to the law!) Ummmmm, thanks, but no thanks... I think I'll pass!!!

I appreciate the fact that people can come and go from my life and I from theirs. I think it's so refreshing to serve a purpose in others' lives and them in mine for whatever length of time feels comfortable and then to let one another go.

I guess I'm just single at heart, and it doesn't frighten me the way it does other people. I enjoy the thought of being able to do whatever I want whenever I want... now that's what I call living!!!

So maybe my idea of life at 37 is a bit radical for some of you, but it works for me. And if this is 37, I can soooooooo do this!!!




That, my lovely blogland readers, is a four-layer Red Velvet Cake that my dearest friend, Cecilia, whom I have known since I was four-years-old purchased for me to enjoy, after she stuffed me full of crab legs and shrimp!!! Soooooo yummy! She even let me sit on her fancy leather couch that gives you a full body massage while I was eating my slice of cake.

Today, I'm going to share some songs by The Sugarcubes with you. In addition to "Birthday" (which I am fully aware is not actually about birthdays), I'll also include "Hit" and "Walkabout". And yes, Bjork has some other fabulous songs, but I will cover her solo career at a later point in time.




She lives in this house over there
Has her world outside it
Scrapples in the earth with her fingers and her mouth
She's five years old

Threads worms on a string
Keeps spiders in her pocket
Collects fly wings in a jar
Scrubs horse flies
And pinches them on a line
Ohhh...!

She has one friend, he lives next door
They're listening to the weather
He knows how many freckles she's got
She scratches his beard

She's painting huge books
And glues them together
They saw a big raven
It glided down the sky
She touched it
Ohh...!

Today is a birthday
They're smoking cigars
He's got a chain of flowers
And sews a bird in her knickers
Ohhh...!

They're smoking cigars
They lie in the bathtub
A chain of flowers




No comments:

Post a Comment