Sunday, September 28, 2014

Week One Hundred and Twenty-Six: Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours" - We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.

After spending the day with the little girl that I mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters to celebrate her 15th birthday, I came to two very important conclusions about Dallas: (1) it is full of uppity bee-yotches and (2) not many people here know what a ukulele is!

So my first conclusion can be evidenced by the fact that I took Angelica to Maggiano's to enjoy some splendid Italian food for her birthday lunch. She was in awe of the elegance of the restaurant's layout and was so grateful to have the opportunity to be there. The restaurant was very crowded, so most of the tables that were left were somewhat close to the kitchen. We both rolled our eyes and giggled as we listened to one uppity Dallas bee-yotch after another refuse to "sit that close to the kitchen..."  First of all, the area is up on a platform, and secondly, there is plenty of glass to shield the sights and sounds of the kitchen. I don't care how much money I ever earn; I will never conduct myself in the manner in which many of the people who frequent NorthPark choose to conduct themselves. In fact, Angelica and I pinky-promised one another that we would never act that way!!!

My second conclusion can be evidenced by the fact that, upon entering Guitar Center and being greeted by a sales associate who asked if he could assist us, Angelica and I revealed that we were interested in the purchase of a ukulele. He gave us a puzzled look and stated that he was not aware of what a ukulele even was. I seriously thought he was joking and giggled a bit while replying,"Ha! Ha! Very funny... now point us towards the ukuleles." It was not until I realized that he wasn't smiling and he definitely wasn't joking that I finally explained to him that they are the miniature Hawaiian sounding acoustic guitars. He told us to try to the acoustic guitar section. We found a few, but Angelica was more interested in a starter kit with a gig bag, instructional manual, and so on and so forth. So we made our way over to the information desk and asked if they had any of the ukulele starter kits that we found online. Again, we were given a puzzled look until we pointed over to the meager selection of ukuleles. We finally just gave up, came back to my place, and ordered one online from Amazon.com with all of the additional accessories for which she was hoping.

So, people of Dallas, once you finally decide to get over yourselves, then try listening to some music with a ukulele in the form of "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz... Happy Birthday, Angelica, and thanks for being such a cool and down-to-earth kid, I mean, young lady!!!


Well, you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks
Now I'm trying to get back

Before the cool dawn run out
I'll be giving it my bestest
And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention.
I reckon, it's again my turn
To win some or learn some.

But I won't hesitate
No more, no more.
It cannot wait,
I'm yours.

Well, open up your mind and see like me,
Open up your plans and damn you're free.
Look into your heart and you'll find love, love, love, love.
Listen to the music of the moment, people dance and sing, we're just one big family
And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved

So I won't hesitate
No more, no more.
It cannot wait,
I'm sure.
There's no need to complicate.
Our time is short.
This is our fate,
I'm yours.

Do you want to come on, scootch on over closer, dear
And I will nibble your ear

I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and I laughed.

I guess what I'll be saying is there ain't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons.
It's what we aim to do.
Our name is our virtue.

But I won't hesitate
No more, no more.
It cannot wait,
I'm yours.

Well, open up your mind and see like me,
Open up your plans and damn you're free.
Look into your heart and you'll find that the sky is yours.
So please don't, please don't, please don't...
There's no need to complicate.
'Cause our time is short.
This oh, this oh, this is our fate.
I'm yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment