Sunday, September 14, 2014

Week One-Hundred and Twenty-Four: U2 - "All I Want Is You" - Rattle and Hum

I cannot believe that I am 2.5 years into this blog, and I'm only now covering U2... better late than never, I suppose...

So I was at the coffee shop at Half Price Books yesterday, reading up on how to create Pet Trusts, when a young fella started hovering around my table. He finally got up the courage to ask what I was reading. My response is as follows: "I am attempting to determine the proper language to add to some clients' Wills in order to cut out their children as beneficiaries and leave their assets and property to their cats..."

He looked at me in a dumbfounded manner before responding as follows: "Yeah, that's cool... Well, I'm on my way home to smoke a doobie, but I just wanted to let you know that I really like the band you're repping on the back of your jacket..." (no joke, he really used the terms 'doobie' and 'repping')

The band to which he was referring was none other than U2, and I'll include a pic of my back patch below:



So then, out of all of the songs by U2, why did I select this one? Well, first of all, it is my favorite, and secondly, I saw Richard Linklater's most recent masterpiece called Boyhood, which includes Ethan Hawke. On my drive home, I started thinking about all of the amazing movies in which Ethan Hawke has been involved, and I recalled the pivotal scene from Reality Bites where this song is playing.

Any fan of U2 knows that I could load this particular post down with hit after hit, but I am going to refrain from doing that. I am simply going to include my second favorite U2 tune called "So Cruel", and then I'll let you find their other treasures on your own...

***Oh, and don't forget that you can download U2's latest album for free from iTunes until mid-October***


You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want your story to remain untold.
But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.

You say you'll give me a highway with no-one on it
Treasure, just to look upon it
All the riches in the night.

You say you'll give me eyes in the moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest.
But all the promises we make 
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.

You say you want your love to work out right
To last with me through the night.

You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold.
All the promises we break 
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.




No comments:

Post a Comment