Sunday, May 18, 2014

Week One Hundred and Seven: The Stone Roses - "Elephant Stone" - The Stone Roses


Okay, I am making one additional change to my blog, and this will be it for awhile.  I am moving my posting day from what I had originally referred to as "Music Monday" to what will now be known as "Soundtrack Sunday"...

Any time I am ever fortunate enough to meet someone who knows of the band The Stone Roses, and we begin talking about their music, we inevitably end up talking about our favorite songs. Of course, most people name "I Wanna Be Adored" or "Fools Gold", both excellent songs and both included below, but they always seem to offer me a puzzled look when I state that "Elephant Stone" is my all-time fave song by The Stone Roses. How can more people not know about this song?!?! It is the epitome of coolness....

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

"'Elephant Stone' is the third single by The Stone Roses and their first release on Silvertone Records. Originally released in October 1988, it showcased the group's growing confidence and incorporation of dance rhythms. It was produced by New Order bassist Peter Hook in his own studio initially for release on Rough Trade Records and remixed by John Leckie following a deal with Silvertone Records."

"John Squire on the hidden meaning of 'Elephant Stone', 'What is about? Love and Death... War and Peace... Morecambe and Wise...' Squire also said about 'Elephant Stone', 'It's about a girl... Who I don't see any more....'"

And as I have often encouraged you before, please do not stop at just these three songs that I am offering you today...go out and explore more songs by The Stone Roses.  You won't regret it!!!


Burst into heaven
Kissing the cotton clouds
Arctic sheets and fields of wheat
I can’t stop coming down
Your shrunken head
Looking down on me above
Send me home like an elephant stone
To smash my dream of love
Dreaming til the sun goes down
And night turns into day
Rooms are empty I've got plenty
You could move in right away

It seems like there’s a hole
In my dreams
In my dreams
In my dreams

Down through the heavens
Choke on the cotton clouds
Arctic sheets and fields of wheat
I can’t stop coming down
Your shrunken head
Looking down on me above
Send me home like an elephant stone
To smash my dream of love

Did your bed and bookshelf go
And run run run away
These four walls saw the rise and fall
And your midnight getaway
Seems like there’s a hole
In my dreams
Or so it seems
Yet nothing means anything
Anymore



No comments:

Post a Comment