Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Week One Hundred and Five: Happy Second Birthday to The Soundtrack of a Heartbreak Beat: Most Viewed Post #3

That's right, folks! My sweet little blog turned two years old on Sunday, May 4th. To celebrate this stellar event, I'm going to take this week off, and instead, I will offer the top four most viewed posts over the course of these past two years.

~~o0o~~o0o~~o0o~~o0o~~o0o~~o0o~~


Coming in at Number 3, with 107 individual pageviews, is the post I did on 12/2/12 over Sunglasses & Sugar's holiday tune called "Tinsel Tree". I cannot take credit for most of these pageviews because I received a lot of traffic from their social media sites regarding this one. I did realize that I made a comparison to ABC's tune, "The Look of Love", but I did not bother to offer you a YouTube clip of that one, so I will include it for you today:


I also mentioned another Sunglasses & Sugar called "(It's A) Snow Day", but I did not post that YouTube Clip either...so here you go:



Most Viewed Post #3 - Sunglasses & Sugar - "Tinsel Tree"

Sunglasses & Sugar has quickly become one of my favorite new bands from 2012, and luckily, they released this track, "Tinsel Tree", just in time for the holiday season (and just in time to make it into Holiday Tunes week). I really dig their throwback sound but feel that they still generate their own unique twist to easily appeal to modern listeners.

Although I love the rocking nature of the tune itself, I'd have to say that the spoken aside is what really makes the song. It is very reminiscent of Martin Fry's spoken aside in the ABC hit, "The Look of Love". Interestingly enough, it was David Bowie who suggested to Martin Fry that he do that. Apparently, Bowie stopped by the studio on the day of the recording and told Fry that what the song was missing was the equivalent of an answer phone message... and voila! - Martin did just that - remember that whole --- "And though my friends just might ask me... They say: 'Martin, maybe one day you'll find true love...'" bit???

Okay, so back to Sunglasses & Sugar... If I am not mistaken, they treated us to a preview of the other two songs on the maxi-single, "Totally Ridic" & "Storytime", at their November show at The Barley House. Wow! So that means that they gave out candy, covered Costello, Morrissey, The Smiths, and The Beach Boys, and let us have a sneak peek at these two new tunes --- that's setting the bar awfully high for one of their first shows... I'd be interested to see how they plan to top that in the future --- petit fours and wrapped gifts, maybe?!?!? ;-D

If you get a chance, you should also check out their other Winter-inspired tune, "(It's A) Snow Day", from VuVuZuelas. Any teacher who values the virtue of honesty will tell you that we appreciate a Snow Day just as much as (well, actually, probably more than) the students. I'm totally hoping for a Snow Day this year! Technically, four or five Snow Days would be preferred like that one year not too long ago --- as long as we don't have to make them up in June!!!



3 A.M., Saturday morning, it’s after Halloween, November is falling, leaves are down, 
Christmas is coming, browns and golds, I’ve been told that Rudolph’s nose is glowing red and
 Rachael Ray’s cooking on my telly, I’m browsing Skymall to get shopping done early, a string of multicoloured lights from Walgreen’s, stocking hung by my fridge and there’s petit fours on my counter

Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, with a string of lights glowing on thee
Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, may God bless us all this Christmas day and eve
Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, exchanging all the presents piled beneath thee
Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, Tinsel Tree, may God’s grace shine on you and me this eve

A time to forgive, of hope and caring, couples shopping, and families laughing
cheery silver bells to ring in your heartstrings
white elephant gift exchange, secret santa, secret names and
Hazy shade of winter great Bangles cover, I’m strumming my Gretsch Chet Atkins for my lover
gorgeous snowflakes are falling upon us
snowmen and fun snowball fights, snow angels, sleigh ride tonight and

[spoken part]

“It’s Christmas, my favourite time of the year. Seeing old friends and family near. Holiday greetings all of us share. Raise your glass to hopes and dreams this coming year.”


No comments:

Post a Comment