Saturday, January 16, 2016

Post #616: The Stone Poneys - "Different Drum" - Evergreen, Volume 2

I have endured quite a bit of drama from my family over the course of these past two years, but the most heart-wrenching episode started around Thanksgiving and will continue until my sister either straightens out or dies... I know that sounds harsh, but it's reality!!!

When a person's children and their freedom are jeopardized due to their behaviors, decisions, and lifestyle choices, and then they continue right along with the exact same behaviors, decisions, and lifestyle choices, I have a really difficult time accepting that!

Sadly, I've encountered many people like that in my lifetime, and my sister's story has now turned into a nightmare of an ordeal involving drugs, schemes, shady characters, and crimes (and expensive attorney's fees) that have ultimately resulted in her losing custody of my nephew right after Thanksgiving. She always said that if she lost her son, that would be the end of her... again, the reality is that it has done precious little to straighten her out.

I know that I have been somewhat cryptic in other posts with statements like: "It's not my story to tell..."  But ya know what?  It is my story to tell because other people's choices and decisions do impact those closest to them, and it is so incredibly unfair when those hurt the most are too young or too innocent to be able to have a say in anything!!!  

One of my former co-workers has been awesome with regard to listening to me and hearing me out over the course of the past few years when the next tragedy has surfaced time and time again. After this most recent episode, her response was: "Have you thought about going back to church?"

Honestly, it really pissed me off at first to hear her ask me that. What has church ever done for me? I went for decades, and it didn't spare me from any of my mistakes and heartaches... The last time I went, in fact, was the summer of 2014 to attend the funeral Mass for one of my former students who was 22-years-old and who died from a drug overdose... but I told her I'd think about it.

After I hung up, this cover by The Stone Poneys came on one of my Sirius stations --- it was originally done by someone else, but I'm too lazy to look up the info right now. I haven't heard it in ages, but something about Linda Ronstadt's voice felt like home.  Then I remembered how sometimes when I would go back to church after an extended break, it would kind of feel like home.

So, believe it or not, that's where I'm headed this evening... back to church... Saturday evening Mass.  I can't promise that it will be a weekly event, but I'm willing to give it another shot for this evening at least.

I probably shouldn't admit that what I'm really looking forward to is the Greek food that we have decided to partake in after Mass, but the reason I even mention it is because for so long, I have said that I am taking myself to Paris for my 40th birthday... but I've been honestly thinking about a cruise of the Greek Isles instead.  Google some pictures, and you'll understand why.  It's beautiful!!!

So here's to better choices for everyone in 2016!!!

Until next time...

XOXOXO
Anastasia 


You and I travel to the beat of a different drum
Oh can't you tell by the way I run
Every time you make eyes at me
Wo-oh
You cry and moan and say it will work out
But honey child I've got my doubts
You can't see the forest for the trees
Oh don't get me wrong
It's not that I knock it
It's just that I am not in the market
For a boy who wants to love only me
Yes, and I ain't saying you ain't pretty
All I'm saying is I'm not ready
For any person place or thing
To try and pull the reins in on me
So good-bye I'll be leaving
I see no sense in this crying and grieving
We'll both live a lot longer
If you live without me
Oh don't get me wrong
It's not that I knock it
It's just that I am not in the market
For a boy who wants to love only me
Yes, and I ain't saying you ain't pretty
All I'm saying is I'm not ready
For any person place or thing
To try and pull the reins in on me
So good-bye I'll be leaving
I see no sense in this crying and grieving
We'll both live a lot longer
If you live without me

No comments:

Post a Comment