Friday, January 1, 2016

Post #614: Richard Wagner - "Arrival of the Guests at the Wartburg" - Tannhauser

So you might recall from my previous post that I scored a ridiculously cheap ticket to New Year's Eve With The DSO since it was the only remaining seat in the section, and I now declare myself to be a huge fan of the symphony... in fact, I cannot wait to go back!!!  

I must admit that I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to like it.  I attended a production of the opera, Carmen, awhile back, and although I appreciated certain aspects of the performance, I just have a difficult time getting into all that high-pitched shrieking that people consider singing.  Some of it is just downright painful to the eardrums!  However, last night was dedicated primarily to the music, and I only had to endure a minor amount of singing by a mezzo-soprano for a few numbers.

My seat was so close that I could practically read the sheet music.  Seriously, I had no idea that the Orchestra Terrace actually wrapped around and onto the stage, but it was a sight to behold and an experience of a lifetime:





My favorite number, by far, was Wagner's "Arrival of the Guests at the Wartburg".  When the horns began, it really was like being hit by a "Wall of Sound".  You may recall me mentioning in other posts that Phil Spector was a huge fan of Wagner, and he would often blast "Ride of the Valkyries" when he needed inspiration.  Even Pete Burns from Dead or Alive said that he used that same song for inspiration when composing "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)".  Phil Spector is most known for using the "Wall of Sound" when working with The Crystals and The Ronettes.  In essence, Wiki describes it as: "having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison, adding musical arrangements for large groups of musicians up to the size of orchestras, then recording the sound using an echo chamber."  

So I've also included a couple of tunes by The Crystals for you today called "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "He's Sure The Boy I Love" so that you can see how music composed in the mid-1800s served to inspire music composed in the 1960s. (I also covered The Crystals during Week Eight when I talked about 1960s Girl Groups if you want to check out more of their tunes.)  However, I'm not including any lyrics today so that you focus on the instruments and not the lyrics.

I hope everyone is having a fantastic 2016!  So far, I am.  I was thrilled to see that Pride & Prejudice was added to Netflix today so that I can hear Mr. Darcy utter phrases like: "My good opinion once lost is lost forever..." & "You have bewitched me body and soul..."  I'm about to embark upon my second viewing for today as I drift off to sleep.  Lame, I know, but ask me if I care... I assure you that I don't!!!

I wish I had some awesome resolutions to share with you for 2016, but my only current goals are to move into a new place in the next few weeks... and to drink more water!  I think I could definitely benefit from staying better hydrated!!!

Until next time...

XOXOXO
Anastasia




No comments:

Post a Comment