Sunday, June 14, 2015

Week One Hundred and Sixty-Three: Lulu - "I'll Come Running" - One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds: Lost & Found

The first time I ever heard this song was when an ex-boyfriend of mine acquired mp3 versions of all of the songs on the box set called One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds: Lost & Found as a Christmas gift for me.

More recently, this tune was played on Little Steven's Underground Garage, on Channel 21 on Sirius, as I was flipping through the stations the other day.

Just today, I was listening to my Girl Groups Radio station on Pandora, and it was played yet again.

Therefore, it appeared to me that the universe was begging me to make a post about this song.  Sadly, I don't know anything about Lulu or about the song itself, so I will have to resort to Wikipedia for assistance:


"Something to Shout About was the title of Lulu's first UK LP, released on the Decca Records label in 1965. Most of the songs are recorded in an R&B, early rock and roll style that complemented her mature and raspy voice. It was released when she was just seventeen. The album contained Lulu's debut hit 'Shout', which reached #7 in the UK Singles Chart.

Jimmy Page played guitar on some of the tracks, including 'I'll Come Running Over' and 'Surprise, Surprise'. 'Here Comes the Night' was recorded in 1964 by Them and would later be covered by David Bowie on his 1973 album Pin Ups. The album was produced by Peter Sullivan and 'directed' by Mike Leander and Reg Guest.

The album was reissued on CD in 1989 by London Records."

Interestingly enough, the Wiki article and most other sources refer to the song as "I'll Come Running Over", but the box set has it listed as "I'll Come Running"; so that is how I have listed it for purposes of my blog. I'll also include a cute little YouTube video of her cover of "Surprise, Surprise" by The Rolling Stones.




 Oh yeah, now I'm sorry baby
I didn't mean to make you cry
Somehow I know that you still love me
And no, I'll never tell a lie

You know that if you need me
All you gotta do
Is pick up your phone and call me
I'll come running, oooh
I'll come running, oooh
Yes, I'll come running over
Well, I'll come running over
Yes, I'll come running over
And I'll give my love to you

Now come on, honey, think it over
Don't let your foolish pride end it
If I have broken your heart, baby
Then give me one more chance to mend it

Well, you know that if you need me
All you gotta do
Is pick up your phone and call me
I'll come running, oooh
I'll come running, oooh
I'll come running over
Yes, I'll come running over
Every day
In the midnight hour
When you need my loving
When you want it bad

When you're hankering, baby
When you're feeling sad
Yeah, every night






No comments:

Post a Comment