Sunday, May 24, 2015

Week One Hundred and Sixty: Eleven Hundred Springs - "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?" - Single

So my friend, Darlington, contacted me a few weeks ago to advise that he was starting a magazine called Sunglasses&Sugar, and he wanted to know if I would like to submit an advertisement for my blog. Seeing as though I have attempted no previous advertising, I thought, "Why the heck not?!?!"

After multiple failed efforts, I finally submitted the following:



I didn't hear anything more about the magazine until a few days ago when Darlington contacted me again to tell me that he was kindly going to send me a copy via post (cover pictured below), and you should all know by now that I am one of the few remaining souls who loves, loves, loves receiving actual mail, especially handwritten letters!!!


The magazine is jam-packed with interviews from Simon Tam of The Slants, Phanie D of FEA and Girl in a Coma, Boz Boorer of The Polecats and Morrissey's solo work, and Steve Berg of Eleven Hundred Springs, Lone Star Trio, and Matt The Cat Trio. Here's a little teaser of what's inside (but feel free to contact me if you would like to know how to acquire your very own copy):


In late 2013, Darlington invited me to a performance by Matt The Cat Trio at the Double Wide in Dallas. I happily accepted the invite, and I must say that I was completely blown away by their cover of Charley Pride's tune, "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?" You might recall that I included Charley Pride in my "Honorary Valentine" Playlist for my 2013 Valentine's Day post during Week Forty-One: Classic Country. They also covered "Poison Ivy", which I mentioned during Week Forty-Six: Doo-Wop. That's the song I did my tap dance to the previous year.

I couldn't find a Matt The Cat Trio version of "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?"; therefore, I'll have to offer you the version by Eleven Hundred Springs that is featured on YouTube. I'm also going to include Charley Pride's version since you should know by now how important I feel it is to credit the original artist. In addition, I'm going to include another tune by Matt The Cat Trio called "When I Try to be Cool". Enjoy!!



Rain dripping off the brim of my hat
It sure is cold today
Here I am'a walking down sixty-six
Wish she hadn't done me this way

Sleeping under a table at the road side park
You know a man could wake up dead
But it sure feels warmer than it did
Sleepin' in our king size bed

Is anybody goin' to San Antone
Or Phoenix, Arizona
Anyplace is alright as long as I 
Can forget I've ever known her

Wind whipping down the neck of my shirt
Like I ain't got nothing on
Oh I'd rather fight all the wind and rain
Than what I've been fighting at home

Yonder comes a truck with the US mail
All the folks writing letters back home
Tomorrow she'll probably want me back
But I'll still be just as gone

Is anybody goin' to San Antone
Or Phoenix, Arizona
Anyplace is alright as long as I 
Can forget I've ever known her

You know that anyplace is alright as long as I 
Can forget I've ever known her







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring two of my favorite recordings to have come out of my home studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome... it was my pleasure! Home studio recordings, huh? Well, that's even more impressive now, but I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised because you guys truly are phenomenal musicians!! Thanks for taking the time to comment and for sharing your talents with the world...and best of luck with any upcoming musical endeavors!!!

      Delete