Sunday, December 21, 2014

Week One Hundred and Thirty-Eight: The Stranglers - "Always the Sun" - Dreamtime

For the second year in a row now, my boss wrote a check for an incredibly substantial amount for me to give to the family of the little girl that I mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters. My little sis, Angelica, decided that she wanted to spend most of her portion at Hot Topic, and although I am not a fan of that store or bands like Pierce the Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, and Black Veil Brides, I kept reminding myself that at least I have saved another innocent child from falling victim to the evils of gangsta rap... She even considers herself a fan of The Cure!!!

One item that she really wanted was a pair of Airwalk sneakers. We were able to locate the exact pair of black lace sneakers that she said she had wanted forever (pictured below), but she didn't believe me when I tried to explain to her that Airwalk sneakers were huge when I was her age.


She ended up with a multitude of shirts and accessories (including a pocket watch) when all was said and done, and she was a very happy little girl, indeed!!!

After I dropped her off, I took her Granny (which is actually her great-grandmother) to spend some of the money. What Granny wanted more than anything was a Timex watch that she saw at Walmart a few months ago, and it just happened to still be there.


We also purchased all of the household items that food stamps won't allow them, and she still had money left over to take care of her vehicle registration for next year.

When I got home and was putting together the PowerPoint that I send my boss and his family so that they can see all the good that they are doing, I was listening to my Pandora station, and this song by The Stranglers came on.

The ironic part is that, prior to the song coming on, I was just pondering why some people get to have so much in their lifetimes and why some people have so little... I was also thinking about how wonderful the world would be if more people who were financially blessed would be more like my boss. In a way, I think this song mirrors those thoughts a bit, but in a weird twist, as I was listening to the "...there's always the sun..." part, I realized that things are probably never going to change. Just as the sun always rises and always sets, there will always be the dividing factor of wealth and poverty in the world.

Regardless, what makes my Christmas every year is spending time with Angelica and her Granny and bringing a little bit of holiday cheer their way!!!

I'm off to make some gingerbread cookies... I hope everyone has a lovely holiday, and as your present, I'll include another one from The Stranglers, from when they initially emerged as a punk band, called "Get A Grip (On Yourself)"...

 


How many times have you woken up
And prayed for the rain?
How many times have you seen
The papers apportion the blame?
Who gets to say?
Who gets the work and who gets to play?
I was always told at school
Everybody should get the same
How many times have you been told
If you don't ask you don't get?
How many liars have taken your money
Your mother said you shouldn't bet?
Who has the fun?
Is it always the man with the gun?
Someone must have told him
If you work too hard you can sweat
There's always the sun
There's always the sun
Always, always, always the sun
How many times have the weathermen told you
Stories that made you laugh?
You know it's not unlike the politician
And the leaders when they do things by half
But who gets the job
Of pushing the knob?
That sort of responsibility
You draw straws for if you're mad enough
There's always the sun
There's always the sun
Always, always, always the sun
There's always the sun
There's always the sun
Always, always, always the sun
There's always the sun
There's always the sun
Always, always, always the sun
Always the sun
Always the sun
There's always the sun
There's always the sun
Always, always, always the sun
There's always the sun
There's always the sun
Always, always, always the sun


No comments:

Post a Comment