Monday, January 1, 2018

Post #699: Joseph Hellmesberger - "Danse Diabolique"

Happy New Year!!

So for the third year in a row now, I spent my New Year's Eve at the Dallas Symphony.  If you've been following this blog at all, you might recall me mentioning from my previous NYE posts that if you wait long enough (and if it's a single), you can score an amazing seat for a fraction of the cost... and once again, I did just that!  What was at one time a $150.00 seat became mine for $50.00:





The piece that stood out the most for me this year was Hellmeberger's "Danse Diabolique".  The energy that flowed throughout the room was amazing!! Take a listen and then imagine it being played live just a few feet from where you're sitting.  It's impossible not to be moved by the beauty of the sounds:



Going to the Symphony allows me to get out of the house and feel like I did something for NYE, and I still arrive safely home and am able to warm up by the fire by 10:15 pm at the latest.

Another tradition that I decided to start last year was to let my Pandora stations play on shuffle mode to see what song is selected for me as the New Year rolls in.  Last year, it was "Now My Heart Is Full" by Morrissey.  Having Morrissey serenade me at the stroke of midnight did make my heart feel quite full indeed:



This year, as the New Year rolled in, Pandora selected Depeche Mode's "In Your Room", which is so amazingly cool because I had an opportunity to catch Depeche Mode this past September, and to me, the most stand out song during that performance was "In Your Room":




I've already made a post about this song; however, I love reading other peoples' interpretations of lyrics and such, and I found this on songmeanings.com:

"To Martin Gore love, desire and religion are just three different incarnations of one underlying human need, a craving to overcome the profound loneliness of every human being." - licdamic

I was so moved by this statement in relation to this song because I feel like I've spent most of 2017 trying to overcome years of "profound loneliness".  I have such a difficult time connecting to others; it's been that way my entire life.  I used to see it as a curse... but now, I know that it's been nothing but a blessing for me.  

I took ample time this past year to stop looking for whatever it is I need in others and instead befriended myself and really got to know myself. I took a road trip to Tennessee & Virginia alone; I spent my 40th birthday in Galveston alone; I went to multiple concerts alone; I also celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas alone this year... but not once did I ever feel lonely. And as I sat at the Meyerson last night all alone for New Year's Eve, I didn't even feel compelled to pull out my phone to pass the time before the performance because all I really wanted to do was take in the sights and sounds, and it didn't even truly occur to me that I was alone.  So I guess this DM song was a gentle reminder that I'm doing a spectacular job overcoming that profound loneliness that once haunted me...

I hope 2018 brings you lots of peace, joy, prosperity, hope and love... even if... no, no... especially if it's self-love!!!

Until next time...

XOXOXO
Anastasia

No comments:

Post a Comment