Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week One Hundred and Seventy-Five: Mazzy Star - "Fade Into You" - So Tonight That I Might See

So whilst wheel-clicking (that's right, I said wheel-clicking) through some of the playlists on my trusty, little iPod (yes, it's still alive and kicking),I came across this song and realized that I had yet to post about Mazzy Star. You may recall that I mentioned Hope Sandoval when I posted about The Jesus and Mary Chain's song, "Sometimes Always". You may even recall that Mazzy Star was part of Week Ninety-Two: Double Takes, where the song, "Disappear", appeared alongside INXS's song, "Disappear".  However, Mazzy Star has yet to receive its own posting, so that's going to officially happen today.

Whenever Mazzy Star came onto the scene in 1994, it was IMPOSSIBLE to find anything with regard to the band.  That was still considered pre-internet days in my household, and even the music magazines to which I subscribed were giving them no mention.

In fact, I thumbed through a whole stack of music magazines that are still in my possession, and I finally came across one mention of the band in the November 1996 Alternative Press, and it wasn't even all that flattering:

I've heard quite a few whiney comments about Labor Day being the end of summer, but I have to admit that I could not be more thrilled for the upcoming autumn season... it's always been my favorite. I love listening to Mazzy Star's first three albums on cold, dreary, and even drizzling days.  In addition to "Fade Into You", I'll also include my favorite off of She Hangs Brightly called "Halah", as well as my favorite from Among My Swan called "Happy"...





 I want to hold the hand inside you
I want to take a breath that's true
I look to you when I see nothing
I look to you to see the truth

You live your life
You go in shadow
You'll come apart and you'll go blind
Some kind of night into your darkness
Close your eyes with what's not there

Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it's strange you never knew

A stranger's light comes on slowly
A stranger's heart without a home
You put your hands into your head
And then smiles cover your heart

Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it's strange you never knew

Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it's strange you never knew
I think it's strange you never knew











No comments:

Post a Comment