Sunday, July 27, 2014

Week One Hundred and Seventeen: Beborn Beton - "Another World" - Truth

Oh my goodness...will the sad news ever cease?!?! Over the course of this past month, I received word of one devastating tale after another about people, whom I'd known, passing away unexpectedly. Last night's news was, by far, the most devastating!!!

One of my favorite students, from the very first year that I ever taught, is no longer with us. Although it has not been confirmed, I feel that it is safe to assume that his passing was drug and/or alcohol-related.

If you ever read my post, The Clash - "White Riot", you may remember me mentioning a group of boys, from my first year of teaching, who would often enter my classroom singing "White Riot" and "London Calling"...he was the ringleader of this group...the forward-thinker who introduced his classmates to The Clash and many other note-worthy bands!

When I was studying to be a Substance Abuse Counselor, his father approached me to see if I would be willing to offer his son some counseling and guidance. Although I was obviously not licensed to counsel him at that time, I gave his dad my phone number and email address, told him that I would help in any way that I could, and waited for a call or a message.

About a year later, I saw his dad again and asked about his progress. His dad told me that although his son had seriously considered contacting me, his shame took over, and he was too afraid that I would be disappointed in him. His dad assured me that it meant so much to him that his son had even considered speaking with me, since he refused to let anyone else offer him help.

So Justin, honey, I hope you have "found peace in another world"... and I hope you know that even though teachers are not supposed to have favorites, you were always one of my favorites!!!



There is no use in dying
When still I seem to be undone 
There is no use in trying to find again 
The love of someone 
Where have I gone and come so far
Well, I've been headed nowhere
I have been walking quite a while along
Feeling lonesome 

(chorus)
Don't you worry, 
They won't find my body 
I want you to know 
I found peace in another world 
Don't keep digging, 
I want you to leave back 
Away from the place 
Where my ashes are buried

I still can hear you breathing 
As if you'd never gone away 
I still can feel your touch, 
Your tenderness 
As if you were still there 
There is no sense in crying 
Only liquid running from my eyes 
And all the feelings I restrain 
Are the remainders that survived


No comments:

Post a Comment