Sunday, June 19, 2016

Post #635: Radical Face - "Welcome Home" - Ghost

Tomorrow is the official start of summer!  In my humble opinion, summer is the best time of year for road trips, and I plan to take a few.  I started this past weekend with a quick little trip down to Buda, Texas, which is just south of Austin.  The former Math teacher at the school where I taught for nine (9) years thought it would be a great idea for us to drive down to visit the former English teacher.  I was the Literature teacher (in case you were curious and/or missed it in past posts).

It was roughly a seven (7) hour trip to get there and back, including a stop at Buc-ee's, which is the only place I will ever go again for a "pee break" --- their restrooms are pristine--- and a detour to the Czech Stop, which is where I scored a dozen raspberry/cream cheese kolaches.

The trip was a blast, and we even ran into the parents of two (2) of our former students while we were eating an early dinner in Austin.  It's such a small world, isn't it?? They were kind enough to purchase our meals and to thank us for fully preparing the students for high school.  They informed us that nine (9) of the 24 graduating Seniors who were honored as National Merit Scholars came from our school --- we rock!!!  I've included a pic of our bright, shining faces for you below (along with the English teacher's granddaughter, who instantly became my new BFF; kids just love me!!!):



Even though road trips are one of my favorite things in the whole wide world, there is always something spectacular about coming home.  I know that's not what today's song is about exactly, but I like it and wanted to share it with you... and the title seemed apropos for the post!

Until next time...

XOXOXO
Anastasia




Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

Sheets are swaying from an old clothesline
Like a row of captured ghosts over old dead grass
Was never much but we made the most
Welcome home

Ships are launching from my chest
Some have names but most do not
If you find one, please let me know what piece I've lost

Heal the scars from off my back
I don't need them anymore
You can throw them out or keep them in your mason jars
I've come home

All my nightmares escaped my head
Bar the door, please don't let them in
You were never supposed to leave
Now my head's splitting at the seams
And I don't know if I can

Here, beneath my lungs, I feel your thumbs press into my skin again

No comments:

Post a Comment