Sunday, November 22, 2015

Post #609: The Go-Go's - "Turn to You" - Talk Show

So, I had started Belinda Carlisle's memoir, titled Lips Unsealed, ages ago, and I had intended to finish reading it while I was on vacation in Galveston.  However, as I was trying to complete it, I realized that I was having trouble remembering who any of the people were that she kept mentioning over and over.  I realized that it would benefit me to start the whole thing from the beginning, and I'm pleased that I did because I caught so many details that I had missed during the first attempt.  I'll include a photo of the cover below:


I never considered myself a huge fan of The Go-Go's when I was growing up.  I liked them for sure, but I think that seeing The Bangles open for George Michael at my very first concert when I was in the 5th grade definitely allowed The Bangles to win the #1 '80s girl group spot in my heart over The Go-Go's.

Regardless, Belinda Carlisle's memoir was fairly intense.  It amazes me how individuals who have the world handed to them on a silver platter can be so downright miserable, but I see it before my very eyes on a daily basis.  Poor Belinda claims that she didn't even truly find peace of mind and a sense of self-worth until she was almost fifty-years-old... better late than never, right?!?!

Today, I'm including two of my favorites from The Go-Go's --- "Turn to You" and "Unforgiven".  Interestingly, in the memoir, Belinda mentions that Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day helped to co-write the song, which makes sense due to the fact that it was one of their later releases in 2001.  Ha!  It's kind of awesome that they mention the word "thanksgiving" in the lyrics, and it's Thanksgiving week... where did this year go??? Additionally, I've already posted about my favorite Belinda tune, "Mad About You", so I'll include one of my other favorites called "Leave A Light On"... enjoy!

Until next time...

XOXOXO
Anastasia


 
You act so tough
But I know what you're doing
You think falling in love
Means falling to ruin
You build your walls so high
You act your life out all alone
You don't want to let me see
That your heart's not made of stone

[Chorus:]
There may be some explanation
Why you feel the way you do
The world makes its rotations
But I just want to turn to you
Come on let me turn to you
Please let me turn to you
Why not let me turn to you
Just want to turn to you

It has a lot to do
With the first time that we met
The wild dance in your eyes
Made up for what was never said
Gotta get my message
Stop spending all our precious time
Because before you know it
We'll be down to our last dime
 
[Chorus]
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment